Maritime Operations & Maintenance Manager
(Maritime Industry Experience Required)
Be part of the transportation solution in the Bay Area! The San Francisco Bay Area Water Emergency Transportation Authority (WETA) has a rare opportunity for an Operations & Maintenance Manager. WETA operates under the brand San Francisco Bay Ferry (SFBF) and carries over three million passengers annually utilizing a fleet of 15 high speed passenger-only ferry vessels. WETA currently serves Alameda, Oakland, Richmond, San Francisco, South San Francisco, and Vallejo. WETA was established in 2007 to operate and expand Ferry service on the Bay and provide emergency response capability.
This is an exciting role supporting WETA’s commitment to reducing traffic congestion in the Bay Area! Between 2017 and 2020, eight new ferries with a combined 3,235 seats have been added to the
San Francisco Bay Ferry fleet. This injection of capacity allows WETA to grow service on existing routes with environmentally responsible vessels. WETA’s 2035 vision would expand service throughout the Bay Area, operating 12 services at 16 terminals with a fleet of 44 vessels.
The Operations & Maintenance Manager is a senior management position under general direction of the Executive Director. This manager plans, organizes, provides administrative direction and oversight for all functions and activities of the Operations and Maintenance Division, including management of ferry transportation services with contracted operator, management of marine construction activities, and preservation of capital assets including vessels and WETA facilities; coordinates assigned activities with other WETA divisions, officials, outside agencies, and the public; fosters cooperative working relationships among WETA divisions and with intergovernmental and regulatory agencies and various public and private groups; provides highly responsible and complex professional assistance to the Executive Director in areas of expertise; and related work as required.
If you meet the following requirements, we would love to receive your resume! The entire job description is available on our website at https://weta.sanfranciscobayferry.com/employment
To Be Considered:
Email your resume, a cover letter addressing why you are a great fit for this role, and your salary expectations to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Operations & Maintenance Manager.”
The ideal candidate will demonstrate a combination of education and experience equivalent to:
- A bachelor’s degree with major course work in marine transportation, construction management or a position-related field.
- Seven plus years of position-related experience in maritime maintenance and operations.
- A minimum of two years management-level experience in the maritime industry.
- Must have a valid California Driver’s License and a satisfactory driving record.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Developing, directing, and coordinating the implementation of goals, objectives, policies, procedures, and work standards for the division.
- Managing and participating in the development and administration of the division’s annual budget.
- Selecting staff and maintaining performance standards via training, motivating, coaching and discipline.
- Planning, negotiating, and establishing performance standards and overseeing contracted services for ferry operations.
- Managing the delivery of WETA’s ferry service system schedules, services, and contracted operations.
- Managing project development and implementation of new vessel and facility construction and major repairs and rehabilitation of WETA vessels and maritime facilities through competitively bid contracts.
- Evaluating the need for and developing, plans, and scheduling long-term asset maintenance programs.
- Overseeing requests for professional services; evaluating proposals and recommending project awards in coordination with WETA legal counsel, providing oversight and administration of contracts and agreements.
- Leading participants in the development and coordination of emergency response plans for emergencies or disasters affecting the Bay Area transportation system. Ensures WETA Emergency Response Plans and the Emergency Operations Plans are implemented when required.
- Attending and participating in professional group meetings; staying abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of maritime transit maintenance and operations services.
- Maintaining the maintenance of working and official divisional files.
- Monitoring changes in laws, regulations, and technology that may affect WETA operations; implementing policy and procedural changes as required.
- Preparing, reviewing, and presenting staff reports, various management and information updates, and reporting on special projects as assigned by the Executive Director.
Responding to difficult and sensitive public inquiries and complaints and assisting with resolutions and alternative recommendations.