Employee is responsible for the professional development of the assigned companies in the Regiment of Midshipmen, and oversees their administration. Responsibilities include creating and maintaining a company atmosphere which fosters leadership, honor, duty, courtesy and military bearing. Employee provides guidance, mentoring, counselling and supervision to the company midshipmen/officers. Employee teaches 100, 200, and 300 level Professional Development courses for academic credit. Employee is responsible for limited STCW teaching requirements related to watch standing and watch team management. Employee will manage Band, Drill and Cruise MWR budgets and is responsible for report preparation. Employee has a high degree of public contact representing the Academy and teaching. A Bachelor’s Degree is required; Master’s Degree preferred.
• Oversees the daily routine of the assigned companies.
• Administers the company discipline system.
• Supervises company formations, ceremonies and functions.
• Implements Regimental inspection policy.
• Conducts student personal, academic and disciplinary counselling.
• Develops and teaches Personal Development classes and maintains related midshipmen accountability records.
• Position includes mandatory annual training cruise(s) and other sea duty including shipyard periods away from Castine.
• Stands Staff Watch Officer Duty during cruise and Regimental Preparatory Training.
• Coordinates and supervises ship maintenance and maintains related midshipmen accountability records with designated ship’s crew.
• Prepares assigned midshipmen for cruise and monitors their pre-cruise training.
• Maintains sensitive and confidential midshipmen performance and discipline files.
• Administers and Academy Drug & Alcohol Testing program within the assigned companies.
• May participate in the student recruiting process.
• Conducts disciplinary boards as required.
• Oversees student watch performance during the academic year, enforcing standards of watch keeping and certifying STCW compliance.
• Must maintain a working knowledge of MARPOL regulations and compliance.
• Provides Training Cruise planning and coordination for events and services in foreign and domestic ports of call.
• Provides management and oversight of the Band and Drill Team budgets.
• Generates and maintains student records in accordance with all applicable state and federal laws.
• Answers questions and communicates with families of students or the community when appropriate.
• Participates in Regimental PT Program.
• Ensures adherence to OSHA, NFPA and other applicable safety codes.
• Other duties may be assigned.
This job description reflects the general duties of the job but is not a detailed description of all duties which may be inherent to the position. The Academy may assign reasonably related additional duties to individual employees consistent with policy and collective bargaining agreements.
• Ability to effectively shepherd, train and educate college-age students
• Excellent organization skills
• Ability to prioritize and to handle multiple projects simultaneously
• Good written, verbal and interpersonal skills required; ability to interact with all levels of staff including management
• Strong customer service skills, ability to speak with outside constituents to include parents
• Professional presentation, appearance and work ethic
• Ability to work irregular / extended hours/weeks, including night and weekend duties as required
• Sufficient computer skills to operate shipboard and other automated systems
• Knowledge of Windows Microsoft Office Suite
• Ability to work in a student-oriented training environment
• Ability to teach college-level courses related to shipboard engineering and general marine engineering QUALIFICATIONS
• Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree; Master’s Degree preferred
• Evidence of successful completion of leadership/management training (LMET)
• Knowledge of FERPA
• Prior teaching/education experience preferred
• Criminal background clearance, Merchant Mariner Credential, TWIC, US Passport
• The physical requirements as outlined in the NVIC 04-08, as updated
periodically by the U.S. Coast Guard, are herein incorporated.
• Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
• Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles and the like, using feet and legs and/or hands and arms. Body agility is emphasized.
• Lifting, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, and pulling are required frequently
• The work environment while onboard ship includes extremes in weather conditions, rough seas and occasional loud mechanical noise
About Maine Maritime Academy
Maine Maritime Academy (MMA) is a public, fully accredited college located in the quintessentially New England coastal village of Castine, Maine. The college is one of six state-supported maritime colleges in the United States.
MMA is a college of engineering, management, science, and transportation with a community of approximately 950 students and 200 faculty and staff. Maine Maritime is a NCAA Division III institution that competes in the North Atlantic Conference, and is a New England Football Conference member.
MMA is a remarkable place to work and grow in a career, rich in opportunity, experiences and rewards. MMA offers a feeling of “family” that is unique. Our goal is to create and sustain a community where all are appreciated and respected for their individual and collective contributions.
Maine Maritime Academy is situated on a picturesque peninsula in the Penobscot Bay, a renowned sailing destination and home to more than 200 islands.
The Academy is only 40 miles from Bangor, Maine’s third largest city and home to Bangor International Airport. It is less than 50 miles from Acadia National Park, where opportunities for outdoor exploration and adventure abound.
Hiking, biking, canoeing, kayaking, swimming, sailing, skiing, snowmobiling – all right at your front door!
Maine Maritime employees enjoy competitive wages and some of the best benefits in the state of Maine, including
health, dental, and vision insurance
employer paid life and long-term disability insurance
retirement plan with generous employer match
generous paid vacation, sick, and holiday time
tuition waiver for eligible dependents
Invest in yourself and your future with a career at Maine Maritime Academy!
How to Apply
Please visit https://mainemaritime.edu/employment-at-mma/ for application instructions and forms.
Interested individuals should submit the following documents in a single email to HR@mma.edu (in the subject line of your email, please write your name and the position for which you are applying):
Completed MMA Application*
Copies of applicable professional certifications and/or licenses
Contact information for at least three professional references
Completed MMA Application Checklist
MMA Self-Identification Form (attach as separate document)
*Pages 2 and 3 of the MMA Application must be signed and dated by hand or signed electronically using an electronic signature verification service. Electronic signatures, to include images of hand-written signature, will not be accepted unless so verified.
PLEASE NOTE THAT INCOMPLETE SUBMISSIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
All offers are made contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation. Individuals cruising onboard our ships are also required to undergo a pre-employment drug-screening.
For the health and wellbeing of our community, the Maine Maritime Academy campus and vessels (ashore and afloat) are smoke- and tobacco-free as of August 1, 2016.
Equal Employment Opportunities
Maine Maritime Academy is an equal opportunity employer. The Academy complies with federal and/or state law that prohibit unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, marital status, disability, age, genetic information or veteran status. The Academy provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals upon request. Women, minorities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
MMA is unable at this time to sponsor visas. We welcome foreign nationals with valid U.S. work authorization to apply.