Hempel launches Hempaguard MaX hull coating systemSep 5, 2019 10:48 AM
(COPENHAGEN, Denmark) — Global coatings manufacturer Hempel has launched a new fouling defense system, Hempaguard MaX. This three-coat system provides vessels with a smoother hull. It reduces drag and results in significantly lower fuel requirements, and will deliver a guaranteed maximum speed loss* of 1.2 percent over five years.
The Hempaguard MaX system is applied in just three layers, meaning it can be applied more quickly, reducing time in dry dock by up to two days. The combined savings generated by Hempaguard MaX through reduced time in dry dock and increased fuel savings could payback the cost of the coating within three months**.
Hempel's new system builds on the success of its flagship hull coating Hempaguard X7. Since its launch in 2013, this coating has been applied to over 1,500 vessels, allowing those owners to collectively reduce their annual bunker bill by a $500 million and over 10 million tonnes in CO2 emissions.
The strength of Hempaguard MaX is its ability to successfully exploit the synergies between its three different layers: Hempaprime Immerse 900, tie-coat Nexus II, and Hempaguard X8.
The top coat Hempaguard X8, driving the antifouling performance, is built on Hempel's enhanced patented Actiguard technology. This coating combines the smoothness of a silicone coating with an improved hydrogel microlayer and active ingredient to provide antifouling performance, full operational flexibility and a smooth hull.
Hempaprime Immerse 900 and Nexus II contribute significantly to Hempaguard MaX's low AHR. A smoother hull delivers less drag and improved fuel efficiency.
Hempaprime Immerse 900 is an anti-corrosive primer that can be applied in one coat, while Nexus II is a next generation tie-coat technology with improved anticorrosive capabilities. Together, they provide the same protection delivered by two standard maintenance epoxy coats, reduce time in the dock for faster return to service and ultimately save money for the shipowner and operators.
Hempaguard MaX at a glance:
• Powerful advanced fouling defense coating system with increased smoothness.
• Low average hull roughness (AHR) driven by the whole coating system – improving fuel efficiency.
• 1.2 percent maximum guaranteed speed loss* over five years.
• Enhanced anti-corrosive capabilities.
• Three-coat system that saves up to two days in dock.
• Improved idle time antifouling guarantee of 120 days.
* Speed loss: If a vessel's main engine is set at a certain power output, it will propel the ship through the water at a certain speed. Over time, fouling accumulation will increase drag and cause the speed of the ship to reduce even if the main engine power output remains constant. This reduction in speed is termed "speed loss."
** Based on a VLCC with activity level of 70 percent and burning low sulfur fuel costing 35 percent more than standard bunker fuel over a five-year life cycle. Hempaguard MaX system delivers an annual saving of around $1.8 million compared to a market average antifouling. This equates to a ROI (return on investment) of three months.
For more information, click here.Edit Module