Assistant ProfessorJun 17, 2019 03:02 PM
Assistant Professor - 10 Month in Marine Transportation
About SUNY Maritime College:
SUNY Maritime College located on a 55-acre scenic waterfront property on the outskirts of New York City on the Throggs Neck peninsula where the East River meets Long Island Sound. The campus blends the best of two worlds: a comfortable college-town feel with the greatest city in the world. An impressive view of the sound extends toward the North Atlantic, yet only a few miles away are Yankee Stadium and midtown Manhattan. SUNY Maritime offers an array of employment opportunities stemming from entry level to professional positions which encourage growth and development among its employees.
The Marine Transportation Department is currently recruiting for a tenure track position of Assistant Professor - 10 Month. Incumbents will be assigned various Marine Transportation courses as the needs of the Department dictate and their background allow. Participation in two out of three summer sea terms is expected and will be paid in addition to annual salary.
- Incumbent will be assigned courses in Vessel Operations, Management and Maritime Regulation, Advanced Navigation, Ship Handling, Rules of the Road, Stability, Ships Construction and Simulator Operations ?as needs of the Department dictate and their background allow
- The selected individual must be available for campus committee assignments and be active and involved in the Maritime industry through publication, participation in regulatory events or industry conferences.
- Master's Degree in Marine Transportation or related field
- STCW Management Level License, Unlimited/Oceans. Experience as either a Chief Mate on US flag merchant vessels of unlimited tonnage or Master of a limited tonnage vessel
- Experience on a range of vessels including military, dry cargo and liquid cargo
- Current on the international regulatory environment and SMS
- Experience in Maritime education and /or training or familiarization responsibilities, ashore or afloat.
Classification: The Assistant Professor - 10 Month will be a tenure track, academic year appointment (September - May). The anticipated salary range is $55,000 - $65,000 annually and includes an outstanding benefits package (For more information please see the UUP Benefits Summary). Salary will commensurate with experience and qualifications. Review of applications will commence immediately and conclude when the position is filled.
Fair Labor Standard Acts (FLSA) Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously.
Budget Title: Assistant Professor - 10 Month
Local Title: Assistant Professor - 10 Month
Line #: 00231
Expenses for Interview are not reimbursed.
Full-time position is available starting Fall 2019
SUNY Maritime College is an Equal Opportunity/Veterans/Disabled/Affirmative Action employer, committed to recruiting, supporting and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. For our full non-discrimination statement, see: http://www.sunymaritime.edu/affirmative-action.
SUNY Maritime College is committed to maintaining a safe environment for its students, faculty, staff, volunteers and the general public that use our facilities. Therefore, in order to ensure the hiring of employees of the highest integrity and to maintain a safe campus community, SUNY Maritime College will conduct pre-employment background investigations on all individuals for whom employment is to be offered.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you need a disability related accommodation, please call The Office of Human Resource Services at (718) 409-7303 or email at email@example.com. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (718) 409-7350. It can also be viewed on line by selecting University Police at www.sunymaritime.edu.
Persons interested in the above position should apply online. Please submit:
- Cover letter, including salary requirements
- Contact information for three professional references
Returning Applicants - Login to your SUNY Maritime Careers Account to check your completed application, check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents.