Rapp Marine to supply equipment for two Chinese research vesselsDec 21, 2015 03:02 PM
(BODO, Norway) — Rapp Marine has been chosen as the supplier of advanced equipment packages for two new oceanographic research vessels for the Guangzhou Marine Geological Survey (GMGS) and Polar Research Institute of China (PRIC).
"The contracts were awarded in a highly competitive market against strong international competition. The choice fell on Rapp Marine since we can offer the best technological solutions, we have extensive experience with these types of deliveries, and because we were able to offer competitive terms," said CEO Helge Vatnehol.
The deliveries are highly advanced technologically and wholly developed in Bodo, where most of the detail engineering will also take place. Production will be from the new factory in Serbia.
"We have worked long and hard to land these contracts, so this is a joyful occasion," said Tove Pettersen, senior vice president, sales and marketing. "Most maritime nations are working on plans to build oceangoing research vessels and we are involved in exciting processes for a number of similar projects, apart from which we also see an increasing demand from the fishery sector."
Rapp Marine is currently delivering systems for eight similar vessels, and thanks to this process and earlier deliveries, the company has built up a solid knowledge base both for operation and use of the equipment, as well as its design and production.
"These contract awards may be extremely gratifying, but we will continue to depend on our ability to conclude more orders to ensure sound, profitable continuing development. We are very confident that we can do that, and there are many exciting contract awards in the months ahead that we are working really hard to secure," said Vatnehol.
"This is a great compliment to management and the strong professionalism that has evolved within Rapp Marine Group and particularly here in Bodo," said board chairman Bjorn Hesthamar.
About Rapp Marine
• The principal owners are Tromsø-based investors Nord Kapitalforvaltning AS.
• Rapp Marine is a leading global supplier of advanced deck machinery for shipping and oil industry customers worldwide. Formerly trading as Rapp Hydema, the company has garnered more than 100 years of experience developing deck machinery and equipment, including proprietary and innovative fishery winches, cranes and cargo-handling systems for commercial workboats for more than 40 years.
• Rapp Marine is today one of the world's largest supplier of speciality cranes and other deck machinery for deep-sea research vessels.
• The company unveiled its new and highly modern mechanical workshop in Serbia in 2014.
• The head office and technical division are situated in Bodo, Norway. There are also sales, service and production activities in 17 other locations around the world, including offices in Seattle, Wash., and Peterhead, United Kingdom. Currently Rapp Marine employs a work force of 317, 66 in the corporate hub in Bodo. For more information, visit www.rappmarine.com.