Canadian ferries at a glanceDec 1, 2017 01:05 PM
The “Q to Q” ferry demonstration was well promoted and advertised along New Westminster’s waterfront. The project was scheduled to run through the end of September with subsidized fares.
According to the 2015 report “Keeping Canada Moving” from the Canadian Ferry Operators Association:
• Canada has 171 ferry routes and 259 operating ferries.
• Nearly 54 million people and more than 19 million vehicles were transported via ferry in Canada in 2014.
• Since 2011, there have been no incidents involving a serious injury on a Canadian ferry, and since 2006, there have been no incidents involving a fatality on a ferry.
• Canadian ferry operators employed more than 9,500 citizens and paid more than $436 million in salaries and wages in 2014.
• Ferry companies had operating expenses of more than $1.2 billion, including spending $155 million on fuel.
• Ferry operators expect to invest $1.6 billion in their fleets by 2020.
• The asset value of the operators exceeds $2.3 billion.